Sunday, June 24, 2012

Weekend Eating


For the first time, TWO separate people asked why I hadn't written a blog this week, so I figured I'd put one together.  I have to give the people (the two people) what they want!  The reason I was slacking, other than my assumption that interest was dying, is my imminent return to Clayton to see Jessica, Berkley, my family, and friends!  Still, over the past week I've had a few really nice dining experiences so I thought I could share...

Last Sunday, I ate at my favorite tapas bar in Barcelona (Cerveceria Catalana) after visiting the elBulli exhibit at Palau Robert.  The display was great; I was able to read the history of the famous restaurant as well as seeing (through video) the preparation of countless dishes.  While my lunch after wasn't to elBulli standards, it was still great as always.  I had the croquettes, salmon, and ham (all served on small pieces of bread) and left very satisfied.  Cerveceria Catalana is definitely my recommended tapas place for any visitors to Barcelona.

This weekend, I tried three new places.  My co-worker and I went to the first, and then we added a group of co-workers visiting from Clayton for the second and third restaurants.  I thought all were pretty good, with the first the least impressive (and "Spanish") of the group.

The first, Cinco Jotas, is a standard but good restaurant and I tried their shrimp "sampler"  It came with fried shrimp, shrimps fried after being wrapped in wontons, and then little shrimp dumpling "purses".  I suppose it's more my order that made this place seem un-Spanish, as they specialize in the highest grade "jamon" sold as well as a dish with potatoes, ham, and eggs.  My entree was pretty good but seemed Asian more than anything else.  Next time (if there is one, and I wouldn't be against returning), I'll go more traditional.

For dinner yesterday, a group of us tried Arenal, which is a nice beachside restaurant in Barceloneta.  Our table, while inside, was right at the window overlooking the beach and created a cool atmosphere for people watching.  It was the festival of Sant Joan last night, so during the meal we could hear firecrackers and see fireworks throughout.  For appetizer, the table split cod fritters, ham croquettes, and the standard bread with tomato.  All are now firmly in my rotation of first courses ordered, and I believe the visitors enjoyed as well.

For my entree, I split the rice in lobster broth with a co-worker.  One of my friends at work here told me this is a specialty of many beach restaurants, and I was happy to give it a try.  The serving for both me and my co-worker was HUGE... we each had half of a good-sized lobster and more rice than I could possibly eat.  The broth was flavorful and extremely rich, making the rice alone worthy of being a complete entree.  The lobster was great as well; it was tender (surprising as it sat in the hot rice) and packed with taste from the shell and broth.  The only downside was that I had gather the meat myself; I made an absolute mess of this and the tablecloth paid the price unfortunately!  I've now tried both shrimp and lobster broth rice dishes and I have to say that style is one of my favorites in Spain.  I would take either over a paella any day.

For my final culinary adventure, I had octopus with potatoes and paprika (pictured above) with two co-workers at a street-side restaurant on Passeig de Gracia.  The serving was quite large I thought, and the octopus cooked perfectly to be tender with the right amount of salt.  The paprika is somehow the PERFECT match for the octopus, as are the potatoes when everything gets mixed together.  The restaurant, called Divinus, was fairly basic and not too flashy, but all of our meals were quite good.  I've found that, with a somewhat discerning eye to help stay away from "tourist trap" establishments, you can find great food all up and down the main streets in the city.

I think for the last few days here (only three days of work and then I am heading back to Jessica!!!!!), I may try the Japanese restaurant, which serves amazing rice and noodle dishes in addition to excellent shrimp tempura, and the wood-fired pizza place.  Sure, I'm not going out with a Spanish bang, but part of the greatness in Spanish dining is the variety that exists all over the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment