Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Spanish Memories - #15

My time here in Spain, contrary to what the first few items on the countdown suggest, has been mostly filled with amazing experiences and great regional food.  And so onto my fifteenth memory...

#15 - Duck confit is EVERYWHERE!


Before arriving in Spain, I'd been fortunate enough to have duck confit maybe five or six times (including the best version I've ever had, even still, at Blue Ribbon Bakery in New York) in my life.  More common in America is the duck breast, although I'm not totally sure why since it seems to me that slow cooking a bone-in duck leg in its own fat would be far simpler than expertly grilling the breast to medium rare.  Anyway, the flavor of duck confit is so incredibly rich, flavorful, and unique that I order it EVERY time I see it on a menu.

That brings me to Spain... where it is ALWAYS on the menu!  Within my first two weeks here, I'd already had duck confit twice and started to realize that it was as common as a chicken breast would be in the States.  Except for neighborhood bars and tapas restaurants, I am not sure I've been somewhere where I couldn't order it.  Even in the grocery store, I was able to buy a frozen version that I then pan-heated into pure deliciousness (added bonus for the aroma in my room the rest of the night!).

Almost invariably, duck confit here (called confit de pato) is served with fruit in a sweet sauce, a classic and perfect pairing to contrast with the richness of the meat.  I would guess I've had it eight or nine times in Spain, and the only differentiating factor for me when comparing the various versions is how crispy the particular restaurant can get the skin (always the best part of duck).  The picture above, showing the leg served in a wonderful apricot sauce, probably was the winner in the past five months, but even the worst version was fantastic. 

For those of you who have never tried this wonderful dish, PLEASE take advantage when you see it on a menu in America.  Or just come to Spain and you'll always have a chance at your next meal...

#16 - McDonalds
#17 - American Fox Television
#18 - The Granollers Bowling Alley
#19 - Scobie's Irish Pub
#20 - Prices Include Tax in Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment