Sunday, June 17, 2012

Nearing the Halfway Point


I only have eleven more days (eight working days!) until I return to Clayton to Jessica and Berkley, marking the halfway point of my assignment.  While I'm getting more "comfortable" with the Spanish way of living, nothing can replace my family and home, so I cannot wait.  Each day seems longer than the one before as I get closer to seeing Jessica, but that hasn't been able to dampen our excitement!

This weekend, I went into Barcelona for some quick shopping and also to see the elBulli exhibit at Palau Robert.  The museum (which was free on Sunday) has a nice walk-through display showing the start, evolution, and pinnacle of elBulli, finishing with video of their last night of service.  For 45 minutes, I was fully captivated by the story, the pictures, and the whole concept of the restaurant and the way it transformed dining in the world.  For anyone in Barcelona, I'd strongly recommend you take the time and visit this exhibit; it's informative and entertaining without consuming so much of your day.

And now, with my first half of living in Spain just about done, here's a list of some surprises and differences that I find interesting living here:

- I think I've seen Pepsi here once.  Coke products are everywhere (including Coke Zero) and Fanta is far more popular than in the United States.  As most know, though, free refills are unheard of and it has been quite an adjustment for me.
- Credit card machines here a) don't allow for tips to be added (from what I can tell), b) seem to be from 1995 in their technology, and c) sometimes can charge in either dollars or euros, which seems simple but then makes me think ALL of them should have the option.
- With very limited exceptions for Real Madrid fans, no one here cares about any sports teams other than those of Barcelona (futbol and basketball).  Even the Spanish national team is not overly popular.
- Fashion in Spain is either 5 years ahead of America, 15 years behind, or both.
- The cuisine here has been as advertised, if not better.  I did not expect things like duck and tuna to be so common, but they are and they're always prepared extremely well.  While tapas is a relatively new addition to the Barcelona landscape, it is done quite well in a few places.
- Spanish (or maybe Catalan) custom is to have a bocadillo (similar to a torpedo or sub in America, with meat and tomato spread on the bread) around 10 AM each morning, bridging the gap between breakfast and dinner around 1:30 PM.  I wish this caught on EVERYWHERE... the sandwiches are fantastic and a welcome break during mid-morning.
- Food is served more natural, and less processed.  People here constantly joke that Americans only eat chicken tenders!
- The McDonalds here (which I've tried 3 or 4 times I think) is consistently better than in America.  The food is the same, and with both countries putting their best feet forward, I'd call it a draw, but overall, the Spanish version delivers the higher level of quality.
- The phrase "take a beer" instead of "have a beer" or "drink a beer" is my favorite saying I'll bring back to America.
- EVERYTHING (except for restaurants) is closed on Sunday. 
- Driving is stressful.  The roads and lanes are narrower, motor bikes dart and drive between cars frequently, and signage for directions isn't always the best.

I know that I'm missing many, but these are some off the top of my head.  Enjoy your week, and I will enjoy getting closer and closer to returning to Jessica and Berkley!


No comments:

Post a Comment