Thursday, September 6, 2012

Spanish Memories - #14

Wherever you live, it's important to find one or two places that you can rely on for good food, good drinks, and a nice atmosphere.  Fortunately for me, that place in Granollers was only a block from my hotel.

#14 - Bar Londen

When I first saw Bar Londen, I hoped it would be an English bar that for some reason chose to set up shop in Granollers.  This was not the case, but everything worked out anyway.  Bar Londen is typical of the Spanish bars in and around Barcelona; they serve tapas, sandwiches, and mostly beer (for liquor drinkers in Spain, be aware that they made the drinks probably 2-3 times as strong as in America and in tall glass...  also no place has Crown Royal somehow).  There are seats inside and out on the sidewalk, and they have a very neighborhood-y loyal clientele.

After my first or second visit where the workers figured out I was American, I was greeted with short English sentences, which was a nice touch.  No matter how poorly I asked questions in Spanish (at first, I didn't even try but even today, it's not always pretty), they always helped and got me what I needed.  This welcoming atmosphere provided a good spot for me to come after work, or for a sandwich on the weekend, just to relax and for a few minutes not worry that I was in a different country across the ocean from the US.

My three favorite dishes here were chicken croquettes (basically chicken soup that has been "soaked" into flour and then deep-friend... delicious), patatas bravas (pictured above... fried cubed potatoes in a spicy mayo sauce), and their bacon sandwich (basically a bacon sub) with tomato rubbed on the bread (a classic in Catalan cuisine, and one of the best things that exists).  I never really strayed from these three dishes, and I was always happy with the results.  Sure, nothing was gourmet, but it was the closest equivalent to American bar food I could find and that's an important food group for me!

Spanish culture is much different than American when it comes to places like this... in America, few people  (if any) would go to their local bar just to sit outside for an hour, talk, and have a Coke.  Here, it's quite common.  As a result, the Spaniards see one another often and create their social circle by being out and about rather than isolated in their flats (another reason may be the limited living space I suppose).  Bar Londen is a great example of this, and one I wish existed more in the US; nothing fancy or expensive but a great place to relax, have a drink or snacks, and spend time with your friends.

#15 - Duck Confit is Everywhere
#16 - McDonalds
#17 - American Fox Television
#18 - The Granollers Bowling Alley
#19 - Scobie's Irish Pub
#20 - Prices Include Tax in Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment