Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Spanish Memories - #16 & 17

Today's double entry comes from the "reminders of America" category.  As much as I have enjoyed experiencing Spain and everything it has to offer, sometimes it's nice to get a taste (both figuratively and literally) of home.

#17 - American Fox Television


Over my time here, I have made dramatic improvements in my use and understanding of the Spanish language.  Unfortunately, the "start" point of that curve was at "zero" level, so I am still getting familiar speaking and writing, without much ability to listen and understand.  This problem at work has been mitigated by everyone speaking English so well but at my hotel room, it's a little tougher as I have down time and like to enjoy television now and then. 

Fortunately for me, one of the three English channels is Fox (not the same as we have in America as it shows many various shows from ABC, NBC, and CBS also) and I'm treated to the Simpsons, Futurama, and the Family Guy each weekend.  While it sounds boring to spend my time in a foreign country watching something I could see at home, after five months of touring all around and through Barcelona, I sometimes need a break.  Realistically, I've probably seen more of these three shows here than I have in the past five years combined at home... and for that, I'm thankful!

PS - The Fox here also shows "Modern Family", "Grey's Anatomy", and "How I Met Your Mother" plus three shows I'd never heard of before... "Body of Proof" (which is great), "Law and Order: UK" (awful), and some show about a psychic paramedic which is decent.

#16 - McDonalds

No matter how great the food is here, and it is GREAT, every once in a while I crave some chicken nuggets and fries.  Thankfully, Spain can support this habit with a scattering of McDonalds.  Here are some of the best parts of the Spanish McDonalds:

- They have the same menu PLUS extra items including chicken wings (delicious) and ice cream cones with Kit Kats randomly in them.
- All of the food is cooked fresh, so it's always incredible.  I've only tried the nuggets and fries but they are consistently as good as any I get in the States.
- The interior decor of the two restaurants I've tried is beyond modern, and colorful also.
- Value Meals are called "McMeals".

So there are numbers 17 and 16, keeping me in touch with my "American heritage" while living abroad.  To find more details for numbers 20-18 below, check my main site.

#18 - The Granollers Bowling Alley
#19 - Scobie's Irish Pub
#20 - Prices include tax in Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment