Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Spanish Memories - #6 and 7

As I approach the Top 5 on my list, I wanted to add some "Other memories receiving votes" to the countdown since I forgot and / or ran out of room for everything.  And so, here they are:
  • Spanish language - I've improved a fair amount in the past couple of months, but more so in my writing and speaking than my listening (which is still near impossible).  I now feel confident that I could communicate, at least basically, with someone here who speaks no English.  Also, my friends at work have taught me a few of the "off-color" sayings and that's always enjoyable. 
  • Passeig de Gracia - I spent a great deal of my time in Barcelona on this very street; it has nice shops, good restaurants, and interesting architecture.  It's a wonderful place to start a tour of the city, and I'd recommend La Vinoteca Torres as a good place to eat and have a glass of wine (even if the prices are a little high, the food is incredible).  You can also see two Gaudi houses.
  • Picasso Museum - By no means am I an art scholar, but I really enjoyed seeing Picasso's "evolution" as a painter.  The museum is tucked away in the Gotic area, and is seamlessly fits into the neighborhood (except for the long lines waiting to get in).
  • Rancid concert - I already mentioned this at the beginning of the countdown, but it was truly great.
  • Palau Musica Catalana - This is the most famous concert hall in Barcelona, it is absolutely gorgeous inside.  Jessica and I took the ~ 50 minute tour and it is well worth your time.
#7 - Spanish Ham


Spanish ham, called "jamon" (and pronounced ha-moan) here, is arguably the most respected and important single ingredient in Barcelona.  People here eat it on sandwiches, alone with olive oil, on bread with tomato, and incorporated into many dishes.  There are so many different grades and qualities but the best is Iberico, which can be identified by the black nail on the pig trotter (and are fed acorns to increase flavor).

One of the coolest things about the ham here is seeing the shops with full pig legs hanging, and watching the worker slice off individual pieces as you order.  The color (dark purple) and aroma (heavenly) are so different from any of the ham in America; I don't even really consider the two from the same food group!

No matter where you go in Barcelona, you'll see shops selling the Iberico ham.  And knowing that you don't have the chance to try it when you leave, you'll always want to stop if just for a single slice.

#6 - Costa Brava


For part of our two week vacation in August, Jessica and I spent two nights in the Costa Brava.  I wrote about the experience in a prior blog and have copied that below...

"To get the true Spain-in-August experience, we booked two nights in the Costa Brava at Hotel Aigua Blava.  The Costa Brava is an area on the northeastern coast of Spain with jagged rocky shorelines and spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea.  Our hotel was located on a small bluff overlooking a bay filled with boats of all sizes... a perfect view to wake up to each morning.  We spent most of our time here relaxing by the pool (which also overlooked the bay) since the rest of our trip was more hectic, and we enjoyed every second of it.  It was great to sit by the pool reading with a Fanta or water or Coke Zero or beer and not have to worry about anything else... I think it's just what we both needed!  We didn't travel to any of the other beaches in the area (and there are MANY) which is what a lot of locals do, but I couldn't have asked for a better getaway for a few days."

While our short stay limited the chance to see other beaches and towns (which are all known for their food, culture, and history), we saw enough in our two days to understand why the area is so popular for tourists and Spanish people alike.  The Costa Brava, with its breathtaking views, cool water, and relaxed pace of life, definitely lived up to its billing as a world class travel destination!

#8 - Cerveceria Catalana
#9 - La Sagrada Familia
#10 - Hilton Barcelona
#11 - Bocadillos
#12 - Octopus with Paprika
#13 - MariscCo
#14 - Bar Londen
#15 - Duck Confit is Everywhere
#16 - McDonalds
#17 - American Fox Television
#18 - The Granollers Bowling Alley
#19 - Scobie's Irish Pub
#20 - Prices Include Tax in Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment